Good Morning Lexicon Fans, Friends and Familiars.
These are truly unprecedented times we are living through and more than anything else we hope that all of you along with your friends and families are healthy and well.
We are making an announcement which we have done everything in our power to avoid for a few months now. Lexicon 2020, which we already postponed to July of this year, is being postponed until next April, 2021. Why postponed and not canceled? Well, we are working with all of our partners to try and maintain the many arrangements we have made but simply reschedule them for next year. In that same vein, we are hoping most of you will still be able to attend and that we can just move your badges and hotel arrangements to next year as well. More on that in a moment.
What has changed that we are making this decision now?
As it stands today, the state of Kentucky is only now beginning to lift restrictions and will be permitting groups of up to 50 only at the end of June. We have been getting information from the governor’s office, state health officials, the Lexington-Fayette County government and the convention center staff. Based on what we are hearing, we cannot imagine a scenario where it is permitted to have our 800 best friends together with us. More importantly, given the state of things, we cannot imagine a scenario where it is safe, and we want you all to be safe. Therefore we have made the painful decision to postpone until next year. But we think it is the right call to make.
So, what does this mean that Lexicon is being “postponed”?
First we are excited to share that the dates for the next Lexicon will be April 9-11, 2021. We are working with the convention center and all of our partners wherever possible to provide the same services as planned for this year but moving our contracts to next year. With regard to attendees, our plan is to just roll everyone’s badges over to these new dates. We have also worked with the Clarion to move all booked rooms over as well. We will be doing a complete reset of the event schedule so we will reach out to everyone who has purchased event tickets once the new schedule is out and give them first choice of events using credits from their current purchases
But what if I cannot attend in 2021?
We recognize though that not everyone will be able to attend the new dates. If you need to cancel your badge or make any other arrangements, we will accommodate you. Be aware that we have our own refunds and contracts to disentangle first, so we will not be able to process any refunds until we are finished dealing with those issues, probably after July 7th. If you need a refund or other arrangements, please email Chris directly after July 7th at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will refund any purchases or Kickstarter support (minus any Kickstarter fees). If we are able to do this earlier, we will post it on Facebook. You will need to contact the Clarion directly to cancel hotel arrangements.
Is Lexicon in danger of canceling entirely? Can I help?
While we will be able to recoup some of our expenses, the unfortunate truth is that there are many costs that cannot be recovered. (T-Shirts, Glasses, Dice, Games, Ads, Marketing, etc.) However, the directors have met and agreed to invest enough money into Lexicon to make sure it is financially stable going forward. That said, this is only happening thanks to the commitment of our founders and directors.
There are two ways you can help. First, if you can afford to roll your contributions to next year that will help us on the financial side. Second, we will need more hands and help as we make necessary changes. If you can commit as a volunteer now, whether in helping us with the planning and coordinating or in committing to 5, 10, 15 or 20 hours over the con weekend, it would be extraordinarily helpful for us to know that in advance. If you can volunteer or have questions about volunteering, let us know at email@example.com or reply to this message. Heroes wanted!
Will there be any alternative events over the next year?
We do hope that once there is good contact tracing and testing in place that we will be able to resume our meetings at West 6th, The Rusty Scabbard, IHOP and the other events we support. However, those are subject to the directions of state and local government, the agreement of our host locations and the discretion of the event coordinators. We strongly encourage everyone to make the best decisions for their own personal circumstances.
We are also looking at some fun online activities. While we are in no position to create a major event, we do have a few things in the works for which all Lexicon friends will be invited. Stay tuned to our Facebook page for any announcements.
In summary, we are disappointed to have had to make this decision, but we truly feel it is the right call. We miss all of you very much and anxiously await the day when we can all get together again.
Thank you for always supporting Lexicon and being the most amazing group of
gamers on the planet!
Chris, Greg, Larry and Rob
And Mandy, Phil, Scott, Anne and Emery